Sunday, March 27, 2011

Vanity. You probly think this blog is about you.

I tried a lot of different vanity designs for this job, a classic Mid-Century Modern home. The client wanted a vanity that reminded them of a piece of Mid-Century Modern furniture, like a table or desk. My initial designs were heavily influenced by existing pieces, but as I continued to shape the vanity, my own style began to show.

So here's a step-by-step of the final evolution. There were many pieces that came before these, but we'll start at the point when I began to like the direction things were going. The earlier renditions may still be usable for another job.

Version 6.1 (the numbers aren't totally sequential)
This is probably the most straightforward, with a little Deco influence. The sinks and faucets had already been purchased, and the vanity had to fit between the tub and a wall, so the dimensions were relatively fixed.


Version 1.4
I like incorporating various materials, especially metal. This one leans casually against the wall. I could imagine it smoking a cigarette.
Version 1.4 from the front


Version 1.5
The legs evolve



Version 1.6
"Show me some more leg"

Version 1.8 Front View
This is the final evolution. Of these, it's hard to say which is my favorite.



Version 1.8.3
No doors, no cabinet sides.
With the cabinet open, it reveals the box framework that wraps the whole unit. As you can see, there are 2 wooden "straps" that appear to hang the cabinet and drawers from the counter top.

Version 1.8.4
No back, Metal frame
The "straps" are more evident here, when made from metal. You can see how the outside vertical straps are connected by a small horizontal beam at the bottom that supports both open cabinets, and the drawers.

Version 1.8 with white doors

Version 1.10
I may have actually designed this one before 1.8.


Feel free to comment on your favorite version.


No comments:

Post a Comment